Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Remembering Miss Suzy


Today I packed up four boxes of hardcover children's books. I'm keeping them; I'm just putting them away for now. Before coming to work in a public library, I was a library aide in an elementary school so I was surrounded by only children's books. Probably one reason why it took me so long to shelve was that I had to stop and read about every sixth one. (That, and the fact that apparently no one ever taught the little rugrats not to drop a book on the floor and walk away when you're done with it, but that's another tirade.)

Anyway, while packing books today I started thinking about the first book I remember falling in love with. Many people might cite classics like, "The Little Prince," or "The Secret Garden," but I suppose my taste is more prosaic. I loved, loved, loved "Miss Suzy" by Miriam Young, pictures by Arnold Lobel. I remember it arrived as part of a monthly delivery book club that my mother signed my sister and I up for. Two or three books came every month and I could not wait for each package to arrive. They were cheaply bound so the spine made a loud "craack" when you opened them but I was hooked. Miss Suzy was my favorite. It was the story of a small gray squirrel that lived happily in her cozy house in an oak tree. She loves to clean (hey, gimme a break -- it was 1964) and she especially loves to bake acorn cakes and puddings (again with the food!). One day, a band of evil red squirrels tree-jack her home, break all her dishes and kick her out of her own tree! I was appalled! Now homeless, Suzy goes to live in a beautiful doll-house in an attic. It's a grand and fancy house, but it's not home and she misses her cozy tree. Inside the attic Suzy befriends and cares for five toy soldiers who listen to her story and promise to help her get home. "There were only five of them but they were very brave, and their hearts were full of love." Awwww... I know it's schmaltzy, but I get teary every time I read this. The soldiers run the thugs out of Miss Suzy's house and she is able to move back in. Happiness ensues and all is well. It was the first time I'd read a story where friends are willing to risk their own personal well-being for the happiness of another. Beautiful lesson.

I'd forgotten about Miss Suzy until I ran across a beat up, Parent's Magazine Book Club copy at a used book store. My own copy was long gone (thanks, Mom) so I was elated to see her again and immediately turned to the part where the brave soldiers scale the tree to save Suzy's home. Over the years, I ended up buying 2 more used (and in various stages of disrepair) copies of this book -- just couldn't resist every time I found one. Now, I believe it's back in print and even available in a shiny new dustjacket if you want one. I don't. I'm happy with my collection of used "Miss Suzys." The edges are worn and the spines don't crack anymore, but that's what happens when you open a book many, many times.

1 comment:

Grace said...

OMG. This is one of my favorite books. I think I still have my hard bound copy.