Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

And Now...A Word About Internet Safety - Week 2, #4

Three words, actually: DON'T BE STUPID. Seriously. Most of the internet "tips" on safety are simple common sense. Don't give out personal information, don't write anything that you wouldn't announce over a PA system and don't post anything you'd be ashamed to show your mother. Good advice, especially the last one.

The problem is that the internet deludes us into a false sense of anonymity. Sitting here, tapping away at my keyboard right now, in the privacy of my home, I'm feeling pretty damn brave. I'm likely to tell everyone my address, phone number, SS # and take candy from everyone who offers it to me. I'm running through this blog with scissors in my hand and I don't care if I trip! Somehow, it feels safe here and I couldn't be more wrong. The net is populated by millions of intelligent, fun, weird and wacky folks, and some of these are one eggroll short of a Happy Family Combo plate, if you know what I mean. And you want to tell these people where you live??

Just don't be stupid, listen to your Mom....and always look both ways before crossing the street.

No comments: