Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Crafts and Hobbies #66: Knitting and Crocheting

Since I've already covered my thoughts on knitted/crocheted clothing, here's something I've only recently heard of: Amigurumi. If you're new to this Japanese art form, they're simply the most adorable knitted or crocheted dolls you've ever seen. Okay, you say, but that's old news. I've owned crocheted octopi and squashy monkeys knitted by Aunt Dora. These are a new take on an old toy. This super cute manatee is available on NeedleNoodles, an Etsy shop online. There are knitted foodstuffs like sushi and burgers, fantastical creatures, soft robots and tiny fingertip critters. Some are extremely detailed soft sculpture and not really intended for small children under age 3. Others are kind of creepy and goth (as a lot of Japanese pop culture is) and may be too edgy for the average kid. The little Grim Reaper is also available at NeedleNoodles. Still, they make interesting collector's items and teens, apparently love 'em. There are also books available with Amigurumi patterns to try at home. I don't knit or crochet but I think these would make very cute (and unusual) gifts. The websites listed in the module were also very interesting variants on typical knitted items. I love the idea of making hats for chemo patients, prayer blankets and afghans for soldiers returning from.... Afghanistan. I'm not sure how comfortable those helmet liners are (I'd think, HOT) but I'm sure short-cropped heads get chafed easily. Great ideas! Historically, women have always merged socializing with some sort of handiwork. Two women at our branch spend their lunch hours wrapped in yarn and needles so perhaps they'll start a club. Wonder why men have never made sanding or grouting into a social club? Possibly because it involves more communicating than, "Get over here and hold this light!" he he

No comments: