Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Frog of Ridiculously Small Proportions

It's like a sauna here in Houston even at 6 am. But it's not the humidity I fear when I open my door in the morning. It's a teeny weeny Frog of Ridiculously Small Proportions that lives in the passion flower vine by the back door. He's only about the size of your pinky fingernail, bright green and begs to be posted on cuteoverload.com. Not long ago, I sleepily made my way there to let Sam out, when a gooey, cold, wet thing flung itself at me, landed on my arm and hurled itself off onto the door. Even in semi-wakefulness, I was able to scream, fling my arms in the air and spin myself about as if performing an African fertility dance. This frenzy went on for about 2-3 minutes after which I was able to get the light on only to see Sam looking at me like, "Really?" If dogs could roll their eyes, he would have at that moment. Turns out this smallish amphibian takes refuge from the broiling heat in the freshly watered potted plants. I did find the terrified little froglet hiding underneath the blinds on the glass door hanging on for dear life with his sticky little fingers.  It took both me and Tristan, and the aid of a mayo jar and a sheet of paper, to remove him and return him safely to the passion flower plant.  Now that I know he lives there I try to water generously every morning and evening. I always peer under the leaves to find Frog of Ridiculously Small Proportions staring at me with that "yeah, so?" look they seem to have.  Yes, he's cute, but I'm still afraid to open the door in the morning.

No comments: