Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sound: #24 - Layin' Down Sum Tunes

This poster is meant as a caveat to young people (and older people) to be careful when wearing ear "buds," as you may be blocking out other important sounds around you -- like oncoming traffic. Duh. But it could also be a warning to pay attention when I'm trying to talk to you or you might get slugged. Yes, I do own an iPod (lime green Nano, if you must know) but there are few things more annoying than being ignored by a person in the same room with you because they're too "into their music." Enjoy the tunes....just also be aware of what's going on around you - for your own safety.

I examined the other websites listed but as an iPod owner (4 times over), my download site of choice is iTunes. It's user-friendly, and has an impressive variety of music -- even older songs and soundtracks, most at 99¢ each. And with the average cost of albums on iTunes at $9.99 versus $14.99 in the stores, it's a wonder that people still buy packaged CD's. You can also purchase movies and television episodes which are easily downloadable to your video iPod, which all iPods will eventually evolve into.

Pandora is an interesting site for online radio listening. For those of you with more complex attention spans than mine, perhaps you can listen to music while you write, but I cannot. I need total silence when composing a letter.....or a blog entry. I did, however, register at the site and list some music preferences. For this exercise, I downloaded "Time," by Chantal Kreviazuk , "Worn Me Down," by Rachael Yamagata and "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz. Rock on, baby.

No comments: