Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Given the title of my blog, I would be deeply remiss if I didn't acknowledge today's holiday. Happy New Year! Traditionally, the new year celebration begins on the first day of the first lunar month of the Chinese calendar and ends on the 15th day with the Lantern Festival. Most of my childhood memories of Chinese New Year revolved around FOOD (lots of it) and, of course, the ever-popular lai see, lucky money, in red envelopes. I have vague childhood memories of going to Chinatown to watch a lion dance (see picture left) and eat char siu bows (steamed bbq pork buns) but it's been a long time. As an adult Texan, I recall hearing people talk about going "line dancing" and I thought they were talking about "lion dancing." Seriously. I couldn't figure out how these people were planning to get into that elaborate get-up with those huge hats on. Sheesh.

Anyway, if you're interested in seeing what your Chinese Zodiac sign is click here. I was born in the year of the Ox. I can be stubborn and narrow-minded BUT I'm also fiercely loyal. And most importantly, I share a sign with George Clooney. Peace and prosperity to you all.

1 comment:

Monica Colson said...

I was born in the year of the snake. Which apparently means I am "usually placid on the surface, but their thoughts and emotions run very deep. Quiet and unassuming, they prefer to work by themselves and are more often in the spotlight for their real and lasting accomplishments than for outward attempts at garnering attention. Snakes hate to fail, and are very lucky when it comes to making money. With reputations for being hoarders, they are very frugal and careful about lending money to friends for frivolous reasons. However, they often show extraordinary sympathy when presented with an opportunity to help those who are truly in need.
Essentially loners, Snake people commonly keep their own counsel and rely on themselves to get ahead in life, mistrusting others' thoughts and opinions on matters of the utmost importance. Facts, too, get in the way of decision making for most Snakes, who prefer to use their own deeply held feelings and intuition in negotiating life's crossroads.
In matters of the heart, Snakes can be deeply amorous, jealous in nature, and do not handle rejection well at all. And woe to those who betray the trust and affection of the passionate snake!
In business dealings, Snake people command respect for their accomplishments and can enjoy great success as teachers, writers or philosphers.
Snakes are most compatible with : Ox, Rooster

I would generally agree with this assessment. And with regards to compatibility, I guess that's why we get along so well huh?