Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

"E" Stands For "Enviable" Week 9, #22


I lust in my heart for a Sony Reader. The new models hold 160 e-books and look impressive with no glare and crystal clear readability. I love the concept of not lugging around heavy books and being able to access my entire library from one palm-sized unit. Unfortunately, the $299 cold shower retail price is going to have to come down to make it more attractive, plus the cost of the downloadable books are rather pricey: around $9 - 15 per book. *sigh* At least the titles are books written in THIS decade. The free e-books on Wowio and Librivox - which you can download directly to a PC, without purchasing a reader - are virtually (ha) unrecognizable. I guess never has the adage "you get what you pay for" been more true. The free offerings are crap. But I suppose if you've been living in a monastery for the past twenty years and never got to read "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" you're in luck. Otherwise, prepare for a rather dissatisfying search. It's sort of like browsing through the 25¢ paperback table at a garage sale. Got it...read it....what the heck is THAT? Good lord, is that grape jelly on my fingers? Bleah.

No comments: