Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Whatssamatta You? Eat, Already!

This yummy dessert is Pumpkin Chai Pots de Créme with Pumpkin Seed Brittle. As much as I loathe the word, "foodie," I suppose that's what I am. I love to try new and exotic recipes and Thanksgiving is the perfect time to try them out on unsuspecting guinea pigs, er...guests.

I come from a family of great cooks. My mother can make a sumptuous meal from an empty fridge - which is nothing less than astounding - and taught me to not be afraid to make a mess if I wanted to be a good cook. ("Quit being a baby and get your hands in there!!!") Comfort food is synonymous with my Mom. My aunts all specialize in different areas of food expertise: Aunt Irene makes to die for desserts, Aunt Nat's forte is seafood and side dishes, Aunt Ginny knows all the latest low-fat, good cholesterol recipes (she's from Los Angeles) and Aunt Margaret is fantastic with EVERYTHING. All very delicious and all very mysterious because none of them write anything down. When I ask them for a recipe they just wave me away with "Oh...I don't know, I never measure!" But if you want to learn "the secret" to soft, melt-in-your-mouth yeast rolls or perfectly roasted Beef Wellington, they are happy to spend the afternoon with you. Pay attention! Watch and learn! I pepper them with questions, "But...how do you KNOW when it's the right texture?" You had to see this answer coming..."You just KNOW." Aarrghh. My MOM, on the other hand will write it down for me. She probably forgot that once she told me, "The secret to being a great cook is that when people ask you for the recipe, give it to them but change just one small thing. That way, yours will always be better." Waitaminute...didn't you just give me the recipe for your stuffing?

So you can imagine that bringing food to my family's get-togethers can be stressful -- especially knowing that my superstar aunts and Mom will be trying it. I know they're grateful that I brought something and it's probably my imagination that they give me that "Oh ...is that a pie?" look, followed by "Did you use the paté brisee crust recipe?" I'm sure they're just being curious...right? Store-bought pie has never seen any of my family's dinners.

This year, for the first time in my memory, we are having Thanksgiving with just our immediate families instead of the whole clan. I'm glad for the quiet respite but I will miss all the terrific food. My mom is cooking the main meal though, thank goodness! What's my contribution? I'm making Aunt Margaret's yeast rolls - from scratch - and a new recipe: Rustic pumpkin ginger tart with plum preserves. I hope I do my family proud. Want the recipe? I'll be happy to write it down for you...

No comments: