Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Web According To Google #88 Google Wave/Buzz

This reminds me of that scene in "Star Trek The Wrath of Khan" (I saw those eyes roll) where Bones, after learning that project Genesis can instantly transform a dead planet into one bursting with life says, "According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in six minutes!" It's quicker, less complicated...but is it better? Old schoolers like me might see Google Wave as a way to discard the need to ever meet anyone in person again. Not a bad idea, sometimes, but there's something to be said for face-to-face interaction. Ever wonder whether these people who create programs like these ever leave their homes? Do they have human friends? Ok, I'll concede that I prefer using a Wiki over trying to coordinate schedules of a dozen people to get together in person to work on a project. I have used Wikis and it saves a lot of time and effort, not to mention there's the cool factor. Google Wave seems like a good way to get folks together and interact each in his/or own time frame. I think, however, that using one to plan something as prosaic as a BBQ might be an exercise in laziness. And I'm guessing that that's all the exercise this planner ever gets. C'mon... planning a party without ever talking to the participants? Makes you wonder if the actual BBQ has guests sit down at laptops and interact with each other via a chat room. Google Buzz is like an alternative to Facebook. And with all the negative publicity Facebook has gotten lately regarding privacy issues, is it time to switch? The only trouble is you need G-Mail to use it and apparently, there's a privacy flaw in Google Buzz as well. Sharing is good when you're a kid and the item shared is a toy or a cookie but nobody wants their personal "cookies" (if you get my drift) out there being shared with strangers without our permission. Facebook and others like them are going to have to fix this or risk losing participants. One alternative getting some good publicity out there is Diaspora, dubbed the "Anti-Facebook" where you have your own server (called a "seed," spora...get it?) and you control the information you share - thus, your privacy. It's still in development but if it works, I'd drop Facebook like a hot potato. Google apps for mobile devices is a new concept for me. I recently purchased a smart phone despite my son's implied comment that I'd never use one. I said, "Am I not smart enough for a smart phone?" "No," he replied, "You're not young enough." Hmphh. Regardless, I'm practicing using the web via my mobile device, although I prefer to access the web via my p.c. I accept the fact that Google (like Microsoft before them) is taking over our lives. I'll allow myself to be dragged off, but I retain the right to kick and scream while doing so.

No comments: