Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Web According To Google #86 What Day Is This and Where Am I?

I keep a paper calendar by my computer at home and also on my desk at work. Both are cluttered with pencil scratchings and post-it notes and beautifully decorated with coffee cup ring stains. They are also no help to me whatsoever. So to ask me to log in to a website, remember one of many super secret passwords, then figure out how to get to - what month is this? - may be an impossible request. I've always relied on this old fashioned thing...what's it called? Oh yeah...my BRAIN to remember what day it is and what I'm supposed to be doing. I wear a watch (why doesn't anyone do that anymore?) to keep me on schedule and I always seem to get up on time even if there's a power outage and the alarm clock goes haywire. I don't know why that is, but it must be an internal thing acquired after almost fifty years of existence. Primitive humans listened better to their internal clocks and knew instinctively when to do things. Maybe that's it. My lovingly sarcastic (where did he get that?) son, Tristan, would interject, "So...you knew back then when to come out of the cave?" Why you little....! But seriously, using an online calendar like Google Calendar is a total waste of time for me. I did go to the website and played around with the features and I'm sure if I had a more complex life, it would be handy, as would sharing this top secret info with other interested parties. However, "Go to Work," "Come home" and "Start crockpot" would probably be of little interest to most evolved human beings, so I think I'll pass. I also have a calendar on my new Blackberry phone, which I will probably never use either. More money well spent in order to be cool. *sigh* Google Docs as an web based document tool is a great idea, especially now that Microsoft doesn't bundle Word with new computers any more. Before I got Microsoft Office on my new computer, I was forced to use an online document application. At the time, I used Zoho, which is similar but without all the bells and whistles afforded a Google affiliation. Maybe it's more advanced now but Google Docs has added drawing, translations, faster spreadsheets and easier attachments as well as the common feature of being able to share and edit documents before publishing. Group contribution while never leaving home is a wonderful ability for students or work projects requiring collaborative effort. I created a document and uploaded it with relative ease. I wish this had been around when I was a student for group projects. My sarcastic son Tristan would probably say, "Two people couldn't scratch in the dirt with sticks back then?" Ah...I'm proud of you, Young Grasshopper.

1 comment:

a1mizz said...

i use www.keepandshare.com it's advertisement based but it's easy to use and you can get it free. i absolutely love it.