Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Searching #77 : Images

The question is: How many clicks does it take to find an image of Santa that doesn't look like a troll? When I think of the image of a "troll," being a girl from the '70's, this is what I think of. So I didn't find an image of Santa Claus that looked like this at Allfree-ClipArt although I did find lots of terrible images of candy canes, etc. and a few pictures of the C. Man himself in six clicks. I guess the assignment could have been better worded. I read "10 Places to Find Free Images Online and found some good tips for finding pictures. Flickr has always been my standby and I do search for photos that are Creative Commons licensed. PhotoRogue is an interesting concept because if you can't find what you're looking for, volunteer photographers will go out (maybe -- no promises) and take the photo and return between 3-10 photos and post them in their gallery for free. Couple of creepy things about this: They claim they'll photograph anything...even "that cute girl who works at the cafe by your house." Hello? Stalker tool!! No thanks. Another site that I like but was not listed in the module, is Everystockphoto.com, a search engine for free photos; gorgeous, high-def free pictures which sometimes come from places like Flickr but are all Creative Commons, attribute requested. The "license" button tells you what you're free to do with that photo and under what conditions per the owner of the photo. Finally, I went to Schools.Clipart, and located a photo of a Chinese dragon (what else?) that could be used in our Chinese New Year program to wish you peace and prosperity, which you'll need if you want to pay for some really quality images. The best option, I suppose, is to take and post your own pictures like this one from my backyard last week.


dragon by jupiterimages.com

No comments: