Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Searching #76 Sound FX


I love this clip about the Superb Lyrebird from Australia from David Attenborough's documentary, "The Life of Birds." This bird can not only create his own song, he can also accurately mimic 20 other bird songs as well as pretty much any other sound he hears: human voices, chainsaws, cars, cameras and car alarms. It's not as good as the bird, but here's what I found at Findsounds: a panda, a yellow-bellied sapsucker and a rhino. Regarding Simply The Best sounds, I found these in the public domain: cartoon witch (reminds me of my favorite Witch Hazel), a really creepy version of Happy Birthday, and, um...some gas. I doubt I'll need to add any of these to my blog (except maybe that flatulence one! ha). This does remind me of that Mosquito cell phone ring that only young people can hear. Supposedly, age reduces your sensitivity to certain frequencies so the older you are, the less you can hear. Ehh?? This 17,000 Hz ring tone was all the rage a few years ago when teens used it on their cell phones so adults couldn't hear when they were being contacted in class. Okay, go ahead and listen. And don't pretend you can hear it, either, you old fogey! Sounds are great for certain mediums, I suppose, but I believe blogs, like books, are best read in blissful silence.

No comments: