Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Why Can't You Be More Like US??

Took me a couple of days to process this news before I could comment but you know Secret Asian Girl has something to say about THIS. Perhaps the the most tragic part is that I'm not at all surprised to hear this kind of talk. I have, after all, lived in Texas for over 40 years. If you didn't view the clip, Texas Representative (R) Betty Brown is reacting to an Asian man explaining how some Asian American citizens had difficulties voting at the last election because their ID's, with phonetically altered or transliteration versions of Chinese names, didn't match voter lists. Ms Brown suggested that Asians replace their birth names so that it would be, "easier for Americans to deal with." Whaaat?? I'm NOT American?? Dang, I thought that being BORN in America would have fixed that little problem but apparently not. How inconsiderate of some of us not to cleave to the preferences of "real" Americans. Perhaps I should go get me some of that plastic surgery to correct my horribly disfigured eyes. Wouldn't want to OFFEND any "real Americans"! I think most enlightened minds would agree that this woman's thoughtless comment is a serious lapse in intelligence and is probably garnering more negative attention than anticipated. She probably thought she was giving a helpful hint to a poor, ignorant immigrant. Perhaps in gratitude for her kind suggestion she should be made an "honorary Asian American" complete with a new name: Hao So Dum. Can you pronounce THAT?

Click here to send an e-mail to Texas State Representative (R) Betty Brown.

No comments: