Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Potluck #55: "Ok, If Your Mom Is On Facebook It's Not Cool Anymore"


Yep, that's exactly what my son said to me when I told him that I was opening a Facebook account. Singlehandedly, I have rendered "the" technological social phenomenon of the past decade "uncool." Hmmph! In fact, he even sent me a facebook email repeating the same sentiment. Fine. Well, I have to admit, I probably won't use it (remember reading *that* when I started this blog?) It was easy to access, easy to add items to my profile. Not the most exciting of pages, but maybe I'll improve it with time. For some reason, Facebook seems more intimidating to me, there's less anonymity than with a blog. Immediately after uploading my contact book a list of "possible friends" showed up. No surprises. My cooler, technologically advanced friends all have accounts and my friends who are still struggling with e-mail do not. At my age, there's a wide spectrum of folks between these two categories. Some are always eager to "plug in" to the newest form of communication and others....well, let's just say that for some people, the internet (and especially scenarios where there is more personal interaction) will always be a frightening mystery. I fall into the cautiously curious category. I probably won't use all those silly applications like growing trees, pets, cyber-fairies, etc., but I did add Shelfari to my page. Anyone who knows me knows I love books and that would be an integral part of my profile. How much more personal info I'll add is dependent on how confident I am at the time, and, now that I know I have the golden touch of "uncoolness," who knows what other hot, trendy bubbles I can burst. Look out, Twitter!!

No comments: