Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stargazing This Week

One August night, many years ago, my older sister announced that WE (I don't remember volunteering but who knows) were going to get up at 4:00 a.m. to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. It was supposed to be spectacular that year and she wanted to see meteors! Who could refuse the invitation to sneak out of the house with your sister in the middle of the night, in our pajamas, to watch stars falling from the heavens? I remember the hot summer night, and groggily climbing on top of my dad's truck hood, leaning on the windshield to lie in wait for the big show. I felt happy and conspiratorial and probably watched her face more than I did the sky. I did see many meteors that night though, each of us trying to top each other's tally. By sunrise, I was satisfied that I had seen pretty close to the number she saw. I was thrilled to be equal with her! Later, after we came inside she told me she also saw two fireballs. Grrr...Oh well. We never snuck outside to watch meteor showers again but I'll always remember lying on that hood in the middle of the night with my sister. Not saying a word...just watching the heavens.

This week is the annual Geminid Meteor Shower, which in recent decades has surpassed the Perseid Meteor Shower in showy visibility, even if you live near big cities like L.A. This year is supposed to be...spectacular. If you're lucky, and depending on your location, you can see around 80 meteors per hour -- best visibility will be after 10 p.m. on Dec. 14.

Put on your pajamas. Call your sister.

No comments: