Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ever Feel Like This?


Christmas is like this picture for me. It sneaks up and bites me on the leg. Usually higher. I do own a calendar so I *should* be prepared, but somehow, every year, I find myself at the mall the weekend before. I think maybe it's become a mental block for me because, like Charlie Brown, I'm disgusted by the over commercialization of the holiday. I say "over" because I'm all for some commercialization. What would life be like if not for the 12-foot tall inflatable yard snowmen or the decorations that look like Walt Disney just vomited all over your window? Most young folks would probably never hear Bing Crosby's voice if it weren't piped through the p.a. system at Old Navy. It's just become too much when decorations go up the day after Halloween in all its technicolor glory. On December 26th, goodwill towards men comes to a screeching halt at 75% savings. By December 27th, flip-flops and sunscreen displays are assembled right next to Santa hats and fake snow. Good grief.

In any case, this blogger wishes all of you (even to the two of you who unsubscribed...grr) a very Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year with as little commercialization as possible.*

*The preceding good wish was brought to you by the good people at oldnavy.com, where shipping is always $5.

No comments: