Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Publishing Evolution #83 Paper to Pixels

Writing has always come easily to me, whether it was in school or out, published or not. I know some people stress over putting pen to page but for me, it has always been easier than speaking. That's why blogging has been an outlet or perhaps more a conduit for expressing myself. I'm never sure who could be reading my words but honestly, I don't think about that when I write. I am, however, humbled when I get the occasional comment from another country or another city. Good or bad, it's a true "aww shucks" moment. As a reader, I enjoy other bloggers as much as I enjoy reading traditional sources. I imagine them slogging away at a keyboard, pouring their hearts out, much as I (sometimes) do. I think it's easier to be honest when you're anonymous. Trouble is, the more honest you are - the more you show your true self - the less anonymous you become. A blogger's conundrum. Still, digital expression is a wonderful thing. I am a book lover; I love the feel, smell and heft of a new book. But I am ashamed to say that I openly covet a Kindle. If only for the sheer joy of the technology and the fact that I could carry around 1,500 books in my purse (if I owned 1,500 books). I have a feeling that even the most vocal members of Team Book would take a Kindle if handed to them for free. They'll say it's not practical, the screen isn't clear, that they can go to the library for free rather than pay $10 for a digital copy, that it's not worth the exorbitant price ($260), blahblahblah. But like me, they all secretly covet a Kindle. Price is definitely an issue, especially if you work in a library where patience is the only price you pay for a bestseller. Even at $9.99 for a digital copy, the same version in paper form can be yours if you can wait until it shows up on Amazon Marketplace. The article was very interesting and I can see where writers feel that their work is getting Dollar Store handling, but they have to realize that while writing can be like giving birth, a story - no matter how good it is - is just a commodity. I'm not sure about the digital e-versions at sites like iFiction, though. Sure, you can read a portion (20-40%) before purchasing the entire copy but all I saw on the site was science fiction and fantasy. This smells suspiciously like so many fan fiction sites, popular amongst the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Whoa...not that there's anything wrong with sci-fi (she says, dodging a lethal neck pinch) but it's just not interesting reading to MOI. For now, Kindles and iPads are Fantasy Fiction for me, so I'll continue to pack my tomes into huge tote bags and lug them around. And I'll continue blogging...as long as someone's reading.

1 comment:

Monica Colson said...

You have readers so keep on writing - Thanks!