Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Future of Media: #81 Fight The Future

Yes, I would like one ticket, please, aboard the Technological Bandwagon that is currently barreling down my life. I figure it's either hop on-board or get run over. *sigh* It's official, we have joined the ranks of Blu-ray player owners who need to see every pore in Sam Worthington's face. Okay, so it's not the pores I'm watching... Still. Here's the rationale: the old cheapo DVD player was beginning to skip, Blu-ray players have really dropped in price and (dammit) why keep buying DVDs if (now that High Definition is really dead) the wave of the future is Blu-ray? I *suppose* there's better picture resolution. And yes, we do own a good-sized HD flat screen TV. Honestly, it looks pretty much the same to me, but then we only have 2 Blu-ray movies (Star Trek and The Dark Knight). I am old enough to remember Dad climbing on the roof and adjusting the aerial antenna and shouting, "Is it clear yet?" "No," we'd yell back, "still snow!" Entire afternoons would pass like this, all to get a non-fuzzy picture of "The Rifleman" on TV. My grandmother had foil-covered rabbit ears on her "set," and you'd have to hold them and form your body into Pilate's positions so everyone else in the room would watch. "Don't MOVE!" they'd scream, which was great for everyone NOT the human antenna. Now, anyone who knows me knows how I hate change, but when it comes to technology, I'm resigned to, and convinced of, whatever is better...that, and the sharp stick in my back of encouragement from my son. If not for him I probably wouldn't be listening to my 5th iPod. I'm glad that VHS tapes are on their way out. Pssttt! Somebody tell the library!! One thing I'm having trouble embracing is this new-fangled 3-D trend. I've blogged before that I don't like watching movies with hardware on my head. I doubt I'm going to want to wear that stuff at home if 3-D makes it to our homes. I still see it as a gimmick but what do I know? In my lifetime, I've seen trends come and go (anyone remember videodiscs? Or 8-track tapes for that matter), all touted as the next wave of the future. In the end, it came down to what was least inconveniencing to the consumer. When people look to be entertained they don't want to pay a lot, wait a long time or store a lot. In other words, as consumers, we're cheap, impatient and travel light. Walkmans were hot until portable CD players came along - no more lugging around cassettes that deteriorate over time - then suddenly everything went digital and no more lugging around CDs. In my case, Blu-ray became cost-friendly. I'm still keeping my 300+ collection of DVD's though. I hate change. So if you want my re-mastered DVD copy of "Gidget Goes Hawaiian," you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

No comments: