Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Secret Asian Girl's Favorite Holiday Movie List

Everyone has their favorite Christmas movies and while it's a matter of pure opinion, I've never seen a list that didn't include It's A Wonderful Life. Sorry, cynics, so does mine. I used to think it was sappy...and it is. But that's ok, because a certain amount of sappiness is endemic to -- nay, required of holiday films. No Santa's Slay or Silent Night, Deadly Night for me. In my old age, I like to watch stories that make me feel better, not worse. I have real life for that. He he...but seriously. Having said that, here's Secret Asian Girl's list of favorite holiday movies, in no particular order: 1. It's a Wonderful Life (1942) Go George Bailey! 2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - animated (1966) - I always wanted to taste Who Hash and Roast Beast. 3. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) ABC, please always air the unedited version! 4. Frosty the Snowman (1969) original version only - Hap-py Birth-daayy!! 5. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (1964) "(Rudolph)...knew that the best thing was get the (cringe) women back to Christmas Town." Ack! I forgive you, Rudolph...and by the way, your dad was a jerk when he put that mud on your nose! 6. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (1970) Groovy acid-trip graphics. The Winter Warlock rocks! 7. The Polar Express (2004) a little creepy with re-animated dead-looking characters but it's hard to screw up Chris Van Allsburg's wonderful story. 8. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) Even if you hate Jim Carrey, you'll love this version. 9. Home Alone (1990) - for me, only the first film. 10. White Christmas (1954) Bing, Danny Kaye, soldiers coming home, the "Sisters" song. 11. Elf (2003) Will Ferrell at his best. Zooey Deschanel sings! 12. Jingle All The Way (1996) combat shopping for an action figure - this was my life back then. 13. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) scared the crap outta Tristan but the story is quirky and fun. And my favorite holiday movie....14. Meet Me in St. Louis (1945) Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien. This is the MGM movie where the song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" originated. I love this movie because it's about family, romance, home and simplicity. And...I know all the words to "The Trolley Song" and will belt it out if I feel threatened. Don't say you weren't warned. It's on Turner Classic Movies tonight at midnight. Instead of watching It's A Wonderful Life AGAIN, give Meet Me In St. Louis a try. I know it's corny (and sappy) but just get over it. You'll think it's "ginger peachy." (after you see it, you'll get this...and laaagh) For now, enjoy this clip from The Polar Express. It's my favorite song from the movie. Wishing you Merry Christmas and Peace.

No comments: