Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recession Busters #60: Food, Fun and Frugality


Remember all those casserole dish recipes using the requisite can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup? Mom passed her recipe of Tuna Noodle Casserole on to me and I'll admit, although I've moved on to more sophisticated cooking, eating this says "comfort food" to me. I'm sure she began making it during lean times but it's still a staple in my dinner repertoire -- although I try to make it a little healthier. When I organized a school cookbook one year, probably 40% of the recipes contained a can of the wonder soup, no doubt passed from generation to generation. Humble food, but for the most part, nutritious and satisfying. Watching Clara's videos was a hoot! This wonderful 93 year old woman is still cooking and passing on her budget friendly tips -- amazing! I'm not sure I'm going to be cooking anything using canned peas or oleo anytime soon but you have to remember the time in which she came up with these meals. My own mother tells me of putting spoonfuls of Eagle condensed milk over rice as a dessert during the depression. A treat to a family of eight kids! During our recent recession, I find myself cutting back and stretching meals more. While my son has yet to grasp the concept of "leftovers," I enjoy taking them to work for lunch. A hot, homemade meal is tons better than expensive greasy fast food any day! The module provided some great tips for inexpensive outings in the Houston area as well. Since my only child is well over the age of zoo visits, most don't apply to me. I will say that a display I set up in the library promoting cheap activities did not get much attention so maybe even families with kids are choosing the popular "Staycation" over any sort of traveling, inexpensive or not. One good idea I heard on television was recycling old prom dresses for kids who can't afford them. I think that's terrific. I wish there had been a way to help BOYS, though, who really get shafted when they spend up to $300 on a tux RENTAL! Now that's ridiculous! I posted a couple of grocery tips I employ in the last module but here's the tip on buying fresh bread so you're not constantly having to buy more. Most grocery stores have bread delivered 5 days per week. If you want the freshest loaf, remember this twistie color code:
Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow
So if you're shopping on Thursday and blue twisties (Monday) are still on the shelf, pass on it! A good way to remember is that the colors are in alpha order. Maybe next time I'll tell you about the organic veggies scam and why, unless you're Martha, there's no reason to pay more for brown eggs! Cheap food doesn't have to be unhealthy. You just have to tweak the recipe: fresh over canned, or frozen if you must. Still, there's something comforting about old recipes made just the way FDR intended them. Bring on the green bean casserole with fried onions!

1 comment:

Monica Colson said...

Thanks for the bread twist tie secret! It's one I will definetly employ! and the tip to remember the order!