Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Money & Finance #58: Banking, Budgeting and Spending


Ugghhh!! Why, oh why, are we talking about this? It's bad enough that the news is saturated with nothing but budget this, finance that. I understand that it's important, especially now, but I am just tired of it. I also despise talking about money. For me, it's a private issue, nobody else's business. Neither do I want to hear about anybody else's. Haven't you noticed that the people who talk about it the most - what they've just bought, how much they spent, etc., usually have/had issues with it? Yes, I do bank online. I've written in past posts about how I don't understand people who fear technology. I know there are risks and have even had money withdrawn from my bank account without my permission. I feel fortunate that my bank handled the problem efficiently and professionally. I spoke to their fraud department and was able to verify documents from my home by faxing in affadavits. I never had to go to the bank to solve the problem. Even as of last week, my son had $350 subtracted from his personal account, seemingly from his cell phone provider. Again, our bank acted swiftly and the money is back where it belongs. I come from a long line of mattress stuffers so this is no small advance for me. Convenience makes a strong argument. Still, I am cautious. I'd be stupid not to be. I don't buy a lot online or I use PayPal when available. While I did look at the budgeting tools suggested, I probably wouldn't use them. As a single mom, pretty much every penny has a home. I do read a lot - and share with other Mom friends (yes, we do network) - about ways to circumvent overpricing traps at places I frequent, like the grocery store. I know that the "good stuff" is located in the center of the store and there's a reason certain items are located at eye-level shelves. I know which items are worth buying generic and which NOT to skimp on brand names. I also know which color bread twisties represent which day of the week so I can find the most recently baked loaves. I use coupons! As a shopper, I've been a Mom for 20 years...C'mon, this is AMATEUR stuff! I have recently started washing/rinsing everything in cold water. If you don't skimp on the detergent, there's no difference. If you insist on paying $3 for "40 loads" worth of detergent, get used to dingy undies. For some things, you just can't be cheap.

No comments: