Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Preserve, Protect and Defend


Normally, I try to stay away from overtly political or religious topics. I have strong opinions and sometimes that comes across harshly, especially if it goes against the flow...which it often does. But wow...these are historic times, aren't they? It's difficult to ignore what's going on politically now -- even more difficult for someone like me to shut up about it. Tomorrow is Inauguration Day and with it, comes all the promise and expectation of a new president. This president, especially, will have a tremendous job ahead. I, like so many other Americans, wish Mr. Obama the best and heap my hopes upon his already over burdened shoulders. If you're my age or older, you also harbor a small fear -- for his safety, and for the country, should some ignorant bigot attempt to become a "hero." I've seen it, lived it, and wish that more Americans remembered how heart-wrenchingly difficult it is - emotionally and spiritually perhaps more than politically - to recover from such a tragedy. For that, I admire this man's courage as well as his intelligence, humility, and his willingness to step forward at a time when it would be so much easier to step back. I admire Barack Obama for a lot of reasons and not just because it's the IN thing to do so right now. The cynic in me is astounded at how this country has embraced Obama, how much they're willing to believe in his mission and his message. I usually ignore politicians but once I started listening to this man, I couldn't stop. And I think it's more than just a reaction to the last president's perceived failures. Not since John F. Kennedy has an incoming leader been so celebritized, so elevated as a sort of saviour of the people. I'm blown away that he never talks about himself and his place in history but always says "This is YOUR day" or "When I walk into the Oval Office I'll be carrying YOUR dreams, YOUR wishes." Fantastic. Can't believe he's only seventeen days younger than I am. Yeesh. A lot has been said about him being a president for a new generation, the first "plugged in" internet-savvy president, more a rock star than a politician. On top of his obvious qualifications, he's just a cool, likeable guy. To be honest with you, most days, I don't even think about his racial background. Still, lot of pressure for one human being. Rumor has it that when the Obama family visited the Lincoln Memorial, his ten-year old daughter Malia turned to her dad and said, "The first African-American president, huh? You'd better be good." Now THAT'S pressure. Good luck, Mr. President.

No comments: