Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Consumer's How To #43: P.T. Barnum Was Right


I can't remember how much this "Jesus-on-a-Grilled-Cheese" sold for on Ebay but I'm sure it was a ridiculous amount. Some people definitely have more money than brains. Still, it's the sheer scope of what's available out there to buy online that makes Ebay such a success. I've been an Ebayer for about ten years now. Mostly, I buy (antique teddy bears, clothing, books, etc.) but I've sold a few things now and then. I wish I had been the person who thought up the idea of marketing to anyone with access to the internet. Bringing the mall TO the consumer is nothing but pure genius! Ebaying is simple, fun and non-intimidating once you get the hang of it. There's nothing like the rush of the final three minutes of an auction, hitting the "refresh" button over and over to make sure that yours is the final bid and then savoring the victory! Most of the time, Ebaying is pretty straightforward and the sellers are reputable and honest. In all my transactions, I've only had a few go bad. Coupla tips: Beware the "swooper," the veteran bidder who waits until the final 30 seconds to top your offer and send you to Loser Hell. Always bid the maximum amount you're willing to spend. Low-balling is never a good idea. You'll just end up slamming your forehead against your keyboard when you lose by $1.23. Aaarrrghhhh! Also, beware the "shill," (not to be confused with certain similarly named persons working at our branch) a person usually affiliated with the seller who poses as a counterbidder in order to get you to raise your bid. If discovered using a shill, the seller can be reprimanded and possibly banned from Ebay. Fortunately, the Feedback feature of Ebay lets you see how many positive, negative and neutral reports a buyer or a seller has accumulated. This is helpful so you can gage the reliability of the transaction. Paypal is the quickest, safest and most accepted form of payment if you win your auction. Once you set up your account, it's just a click away to finalize your sale. Finally, I would advise a new Ebayer to keep in mind that, although it doesn't always feel like it, you're dealing with a real live human being, so good communication is the key. I always let the other person know when I receive my item and I leave prompt and honest feedback. I think they appreciate it and they tend to reciprocate in kind. Browsing the auctions is half the fun so remember that one person's treasure is another's grilled cheese. Off to check the status of that "Jar of Hurricane Ike Wind" auction!!

No comments: