Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

You Oughta Be In Pictures #89: Basic Stuff

Now we're getting to the good stuff. I love using these kinds of programs to play with, to experiment with and to post in my blog. Ever since I first learned to use photo editing programs to make birthday cards I've loved the fun things you can do with a simple photo and a little creativity. I've been a longtime user of Picnik and used it to make this "LOL Dog." I don't know how we ever managed photos without digital cropping, rotating, resizing, color editing, etc. I suppose we whipped out our handy scissors and whacked away. In this "Mr. T" picture, I flipped it to make the dog look the other way and then added the caption. I sometimes contribute funny pictures to the site, ihasahotdog which is the dog version of the wildly popular cat caption site, icanhascheezburger. I have to admit, though, cats are much more surly, which makes for great captions. (Dogs are cuter, though!) I agree that Photoflexer and the free version of Photoshop are good but not very user friendly if you're just starting. And unless you can write it off on your taxes as a work expense, how many of us can spend between $200-700 on the "pro" version? For the average user, Picnik, and even Flickr provide enough basic photo editing for our needs. I used Picnik to "zombify" myself at Halloween (surely you remember that!) and ihasahotdog.com to experiment with sheltie pictures. Great fun!!

No comments: