Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Surviving Survivor

"Outwit, Outplay, Outlast" is the mantra of the game called "Survivor," a reality show that arguably changed the way we view television forever. Who can resist a good battle of wits and stamina? Love it or hate it, no more are expensive actors and scripts dominating our evening viewing choices. It's cheaper but still chock full of drama as any medical or forensic crime show. Now, I know there are people out there who claim to hate these shows. I've never met a person who says that who has actually watched the program -- or at least watched it enough to give it a chance. So I guess they think they sound more intellectual or more high-brow by claiming that it's "beneath" them to be part of the "common folk." To me, when I hear someone say that, I think, "You're one of those people who turn your nose up at sushi before trying it." Ppppfftt!! You're not better just because you say you are. I admit that I have never missed a single episode of "Survivor." There, I said it. Twenty seasons, every episode. To me, this show was intriguing because it's a game we all play in real life only this time it's in a gorgeous tropical paradise. Every day we all go to work and deal with people we wouldn't necessarily choose as friends but whom we are forced to deal with through crisis and day-to-day strife. We all have a goal: to stay employed and get money. What is my best move? Do I pretend to like this person to get what I want? Should I align with this person because he/she is better positioned to get me ahead? Should I attempt to get this person ejected because I know something bad about them? Who do I suck up to? Who should I stay clear of? Welcome to the game of "Survivor." To survive you have to outsmart, outplay, outlast. Most of us have been playing this game for years. The only difference in watching it is seeing someone else struggle through it, usually wearing a bikini. Although this was the first of its genre, it's true there have been many pretenders which don't do it as well. There have been goofy dating games and weird freak shows, but "Survivor" was the first and, in my humble opinion (remember, I've seen every episode) continues to sit on top. After 20 seasons, there have been some missteps where the game was boring or the contestants were too predictable but overall, it continues to keep the standard. I love the psychological aspect of the game - how it messes with your head, and I'm sure starving and sleeping in the rain every night doesn't help much. The physical challenges are limiting because only the superfit (or the super young) can win, which is okay because it is, after all, television - a visual medium - and who wants to see post-menopausal cottage cheese bellies warbling up a steep incline? (((shudder))) And because there's a voyeuristic aspect to the concept, there's the requisite boob popping out ever so often, but who hasn't experienced that at work??? So to celebrate the 10th anniversary, this season is "Survivor: Heroes vs Villains," a fantastic idea and much better than the controversial "White, African-American, Asian, Hispanic" rivalry, although I loved the concept (guess who won? he he), most viewers are unprepared to look that closely at ourselves. Although my heart is pulling for the Heroes, the better players were the Villains and I expect them to use their underhanded ways to come out on top. In a game of "outwit, outplay and outlast," a smart villain, unencumbered by those pesky moral and ethical restrictions, seems sure to prevail. Is that the way it seems to happen in real life? Ask yourself that. And get over yourself and watch. I am.

No comments: