Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Maps #34: There and Back Again


Geocoding one of my favorite restaurants, "The Hobbit Cafe," is a whole lot simpler than "Cross over the brown river Baranduin...and pass over the Bridge of Stonebows...to the land between the river and the Far Downs." Just go to the website http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and type in their street address. The coordinates listed were N29°44.01606, W095°24.8781, which I typed in to the google maps site to view a satellite picture of the restaurant. If you haven't visited The Hobbit Cafe (nee The Hobbit Hole) in awhile, this is a cool way to find their new location and get your Gandalf sandwich fix....along with one of their famous fruit smoothies!
Geocaching. Wow. Had NO idea this underground (get it? he he) group even existed. Like any other social network, though, it seems like a terrific way for people with similar interests to get together. I made an account, searched by zip code and found this:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c102aafe-5819-4151-978c-5e5cb4994800 which was posted by a "Granny Smiley/Eureka1." Granny...I guess that's not too scary. The info makes reference to Muggles lurking around and a place where "people with badges fuel up." I'm thinking it's a doughnut shop or gas station. Maybe the cache is some beef jerky or a Big Gulp. Yikes. I'm not sure if this activity is for me but I have to admit, it sounds like fun. I guess I'm happier holed up in the Shire with my sprout sandwich and a good book.

No comments: